Monday, June 11, 2007

Local Internet Service Providers

In 1990, Las Vegas had 109 bulletin boards on local phone numbers. That was pretty impressive for a city of less than a million people. I went to work in Los Angeles for three weeks that year and brought my computer with me. I only found 11 boards in the 818 (San Fernando Valley) area code. Vegas has been a PC city, since the advent of the machine.

Today, we're faced with the problem of picking an internet service that can get us on line at nine o'clock in the evening without the many 'busy' notices. I presently am hooked up to three services, ATT, MSN and AOL. At nine in the evening they all are difficult to get on. It makes sense. They're all big, national services. It's time to start looking local for something that I can get on line with.

Cox Communications bought out Prime cable several months ago. They offer the fastest internet service in town to all those souls who live in areas that have been refitted with fiber optic hook-ups. Check their map and see if you live in the right zone. Their service is $39.95 a month after an initial installation charge. I ordered the service this week, and should soon know if I should dump my current servers for Cox. I'll let you know, once I'm hooked up. If you are already using their service, let the rest of us know how it is by e-mail or chat.

Access Nevada is currently trying to switch folks over to their service. I know several people that use them, and have received nothing but good reports about them. They are one of the local ISPs that's been around town the longest. Wizard and XTS are also good ISPs at $19.95 a month and offer similar services to Access Nevada.

With the congestion that we find on the internet, we have to find solutions that will keep the most addicted on line. Give the rest of us feed back on what you have found to be the best local service.

http://lasvegas.about.com/library/weekly/aa120898.htm?terms=Internet+Provider+Articles